Beautiful copy of an important pre-Civil War imprint of the Southern Methodists, many of whom continued to advocate against abolition, for slavery during the Civil War. This particular copy retains the original finer edition binding offered in a limited edition by the publisher
It is also inscribed by George Methodist divine, Arminius Wright to Mrs. Leona V. Farrar of Columbus, Georgia. Fascinatingly, it was gifted in 1862, during the heat of the Civil War, and bears no mention of any present "unpleasantness." Arminius Wright [1829-1879] was a Methodist Circuit Rider throughout the Southern and Northern Georgia Conferences from 1846 until his death. His papers are held at Emory Pitt. Mrs. Farrar and her husband S. M. Farrar owned a sizeable plantation in Macon.
Smithson, William T. [ed.]. The Methodist Pulpit. South. Washington D. C. William T. Smithson for the Benefit of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. 1859. 440pp
Original full elaborate calf binding with both gold and blind tooling, beveled boards, foredges gold, gilt dentils, etc., Some minor rubbing, but a superbly attractive copy on the whole. Moderate foxing interior; very sound, crisp and clean.